I thought I’d download that file and throw it at Nominatim and see if we can’t geocode those addresses, and have something to work with. I thought with all the mapped townlands, that Nominatim might be OK at some of the rural addresses.
The results are not good.
The big boxes are where Nominatim was only able to get the county. You can see that many other boxes are just around towns and villages. Nothing more detailed than that. The map might as well be a map of “Counties and Towns of Ireland”, which is useless for locating schools.
An example address is “SCOIL NAOMH MICHEAL,SNEEM,CO KERRY”. It’s no surprise that Nominatim cannot get any more accurate than the village of Sneem in that case. The other school in Sneem, SCOIL EOIN,TAHILLA,SNEEM,CO. KERRY, is hardly more accurate.
That image is based on the shapefile in primary-schools-areas.zip. If you don’t want to generate the data, you can just download it directly from github. By using the Open Data plug-in you can open it in JOSM.
Unfortunately, it looks like the schools list database isn’t very useful for mapping all the schools.
Irish addresses, eh?
- An attempt to geocode the list of schools from Dept. Ed. leads nowhere - 08-Feb-2016
- Collaboration with Blueprint Reprographics - 19-Jan-2016
- The Dublin Pub walk question….answered….again - 15-Nov-2015
- HSE patient waiting list data – visualised by OSM Ireland and Open Knowledge Ireland - 04-Sep-2015
- A few targets hits this week – 12th August 2015 - 12-Aug-2015
- The bendiest roads in the world, by Rory McCann - 03-Jul-2015
- Design competition for a new logo - 01-Jul-2015
- 2015 Meetup # 1 – Fingal County Council Offices, Swords - 28-Jun-2015