“Good puzzle would be cross Dublin without passing a pub,” muses Leopold Bloom in James Joyce’s classic novel Ulysses.
Back in 2011, our own Rory McCann answered this question as reported in the Guardian and showed how it could be done using OpenStreetMap as the source data. However, the data was incomplete with several pubs missing.
Rory went off, added more pubs, hotels and bars and ran the scenario again, with success, as reported in the Irish Independent
As is often the case in the world of OpenStreetMap, someone has come along and looked to, if not improve upon the result, improve upon the method. This time, its the open source routing platform, GraphHopper. Check out how they did it.
- An attempt to geocode the list of schools from Dept. Ed. leads nowhere - 08-Feb-2016
- Collaboration with Blueprint Reprographics - 19-Jan-2016
- The Dublin Pub walk question….answered….again - 15-Nov-2015
- HSE patient waiting list data – visualised by OSM Ireland and Open Knowledge Ireland - 04-Sep-2015
- A few targets hits this week – 12th August 2015 - 12-Aug-2015
- The bendiest roads in the world, by Rory McCann - 03-Jul-2015
- Design competition for a new logo - 01-Jul-2015
- 2015 Meetup # 1 – Fingal County Council Offices, Swords - 28-Jun-2015